The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: My 1961 crew cab- XRMYCRU

getting behind on pics..
here is the frame mostly done- I still need to extend the rear 10 inches, and drill it out for the 1/2 ton style rear cab mounts.

I decided it would be easier to pull the suspension out, and flip the frame on its side to weld everything up, then I was able to finish up the front notch as well.

thanks joe for that detailed description on how to fix the steering box!
that made me look harder for an easier way!
I did some research (thanks, capt.fab!) , and found out that the 4X4 box (which I have plenty of) is different, but I did have a 3/4 ton 2wd box laying around, and they are the same, so I cleaned it up and installed it instead.
it had something interesting: instead of a cotter pin holding the bolt on the portion that goes through the center link, it has a nut with an indentation in each side that makes it tight on the threads. came off easy , but quite a challenge getting it back on and tight- the stud/ ball joint kept spinning- I was finally able to tighten it by just turning it with a wrench a 1/4 turn at a time!

another question: I will set the 73-87 front sway bar after the cab and motor are back in, but I noticed one of my parts suburbans (an 84 4X4) has a rear sway bar!
it is bolted to the frame and uses some rod like links to connect it to the spring /rear locator plates.
would I be able to use it on this frame? should I?
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote