The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
wcstory

Might have just thrown the plans out the window

I had it all planned out then I took a look at the temp bed today.......

In January I bought a 1966 GMC 2500 dually Fire Support Truck with a utility body. The plan was to remove the Utility body and put a Fleetside or Stepside body on it. First hitch in the plans comes when the 8' chassis turns out to be a 2503 - 133" wb not the 127" wb model. I found this after I picked up an 8' 73-87 style stepside body.

Some snags the 133" wb chassis - can't buy repo brake lines, Massachusetts make me register a dually as a commercial vehicle, had to get a commercial insurance policy and 9' stepside bodies are next to impossible to find on the East Coast.

Resigned myself to changing the truck to a single rear wheel.

I ended up trading a 350 out of my old '89 R3500 I parted out for a 1965 GMC 2500 133" chassis. I was planning on sandblasting the chassis, POR15 and mounting the updated front end then swapping the motor and cab onto it.

After having to rework the top end to fix some bent pushrods and stuck valves I started driving the old girl around w/o out the bed. No chance of getting an inspection sticker without a bed so I decided to put the 8' stepside on.

I was surprised how well the duallys fit under a stock 8' stepside bed. I had to cut the inside wheel wells some. I really like this look! It looks like I might be fabricating a 9' box for her and mounting 60-66 fenders.

So much for planning things out............

You'll have to excuse the social faux pas of subjecting the poor old girl to a Chevy tailgate hanging off her arse
Attached Images

My GMC Photos

Last edited by wcstory; 07-26-2015 at 08:18 AM.
wcstory is offline   Reply With Quote