The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Siedl

If the push rod falls down out of sight do I have a hole in the lifter?

Hi! I am just learning all this stuff so if I use incorrect terminology forgive me. I bought my first project truck back in March, it's a 72 short bed stepside. I recently enlisted the help of someone, who owns a muffler shop and claims to rebuild 350's to teach me how to do a valve adjustment. I felt confident in his expertise however never witnessed any of his rebuilt engines. Took his word.

His process for adjusting the valves was to bump the engine and follow this rule: adjust the exhaust valve at the end of the intake stroke and adjust the intake valve at the beginning of the exhaust stroke. Twist the rod and tighten nut until rod stops spinning then go a quarter turn more. He did one side at a time didn't bother with TDC or starting with no.1 cylinder.

It seemed to work, the loud popping stopped and I could drive it. I did notice however, it felt gritty, sandy when I drove it. The next day I got about 12 miles from my house before the loud popping was worse and undriveable. Had my mechanic friend come help and one of the push rods was broken, a piece completely broken off, and all but four push rods were cracked. My friend explained when doing a valve adjustment the spinning of the rod is incorrect and you should move the rod up and down to feel for lash. That prevents the rod from being to tight and potentially braking the (valve, lobe, lifter?? Can't remember but you know what I mean)

So, I bought 16 new push rods and when we went to put it in the cylinder that had the broken one it fell all the way down and had to use a telescoping magnet to get it out. That can't happen unless the rod pushed a hole through something right? I have a much bigger problem now, right? Is my engine dead now???

I managed to limp it home at least but am now left with a bigger mess then when I started and the truck is undriveable. It's possible the valves weren't adjusted completely that my friend merely got it running so I could make it home (he was late for work and pressed for time) but my gut tells me even if a got another valve adjustment done the correct way I would still have a problem.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, please!!!

Thank you!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Siedl is offline   Reply With Quote