The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Jake831

Going from manual to TH400 transmission in my 69 C20

I'm hoping for some help. I inherited a 69 C20 when my dad passed away. It's not a show truck, it's a good ole work truck that has a boom lift and the original engine from my 66 Chevelle.....two of the main reasons I kept the truck. Wanting to make it easier for my wife to drive I thought I'd swap out the 4 speed with a TH400. I bought another 69 C20 as a donor, thinking I'd have everything I'd need. Well, that serves me right for thinking!!

The donor had a 292 and mine has a 327. The kick down bracket and solenoid on the 292 will not work on the 327. I went junk yard shopping this weekend (where I ran into a guy with a beautiful 68 truck that turned me on to this website!) and found a few solenoids that are hooked to the 4bbl carbs, but my truck has a 2bbl. Does anyone know what the bracket and solenoid for a Small Block with a 2bbl carb looks like...better yet, where to get them?

If anyone has attempted to do what I'm doing and would care to share anything else I'm going to discover I'll need, I'd appreciate it. I was out cleaning up all the parts from the donor yesterday and crawled under my truck and I see the transmission cross bracket for the 4 speed is nowhere's close to the one for the TH400. Also noticed the drive line from my truck is much more stout than the one the came out of the donor, plus the middle bracket it totally different. Guess I'll be having a customer drive line made.

Thank you!
- Jake
Jake831 is offline   Reply With Quote