The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Repair questions

Got two repair questions on my mind. Its an 87 r10 tbi 5.7L 700R4 2WD.

1. Recently replaced my cat converter. Had them inspect the rest of the exhaust, just to see what they'd say. I knew it had plenty of holes. So apparently its bad from the muffler on back, but the rest is good. So what is the disadvantage of having a wore out exhaust from the muffler on back? Is this something that is going to be a drain on performance in some way? I really can't see how it would be. Its just more areas for the gases to escape, before the end of the tailpipe. Should I replace it? If so, then why? It sounds kind of crappy, but that's about all I've noticed.

2. Lately the truck seems to want to die at the stop light. But only sometimes. It seems to drop in rpm down to about 400-500 rpm, and then just die. I want to say it has something to do with putting on the brakes, but I have no idea. The problem is a lot worse when the truck is in reverse. Especially when I'm backing up a trailer, such as my boat trailer. Seems to be the same problem. Just wants to die for some reason. It always restarts just fine.

Anyway that's my two questions. Thanks!
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote