The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
scum1

Power steering frame damage fix

Ok guys, long story short I've had my truck for about 5 years now, the P/O did a power steering swap, and did not do it the correct way. Instead of an adapter plate they used nuts as spacers putting a lot of stress on the bolts. I noticed a lot of play in my steering, so i decided to take a closer look. i tried adjusting the allen nut on the box and it did nothing. Something seemed wrong. I took the box off and inspected everything. turns out the rag joint had about 75% of its teeth for the splines worn off. That was my problem, box is fine. BUT, i then noticed the crack in the frame. here are some pics, along with my plan of attack. Comments and advice from experience appreciated.

I ordered the adapter plate from captainfab, its on its way (thanks captainfab )

As far as the repair. i drilled 1/16th holes at the ends of the crack to prevent any further crackage. should i then,

a) cut a small bevel into the crack and weld IN/ALONG the crack from beginning to end ---------

b) perform more of a stitch weld going across the weld from one side of the crack to the other /\/\/\/\/\/\

the adapter plate will be "stitch" welded, not welded continuously, after repair.
Attached Images

scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote