The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
crf250r

Ammeter to Voltmeter Conversion

After recieving my AAW kit I decided to install a voltmeter in place of the factory ammeter but wanted to keep the factory look.
-First I found a 1976-87 voltmeter gauge from the local junkyard and removed the needle (pops off), then drilled out the rivets on this and the factory ammeter gauge.
-After the faceplate and needles are removed from both, place the stock ammeter gauge faceplate onto the 76-87 voltmeter cup and attach with small nuts and bolts. I used M1.6
-Next punch a hole for the third upper leg of the new voltmeter gauge in the factory tin, similar to the temp gauge next to it. Then bolt the ceramic piece back down which will also secure the gauge to the tin.
-Looking from the backside the left leg is positive and the upper is the ground.
-At this point I put 13V to the gauge and set the needle in the middle of the faceplate.
-Now just reassemble the cluster and pick somewhere to draw voltage from, I ran the ground wire to the upper screw that holds the tin in. Note: I am in the process of wiring my truck so it is up to you to decide where to draw the 12v from.
Now you'll have a factory looking cluster with a voltmeter.

I wasn't able to figure out how to attach pictures throughout the text to show the steps so they are below and in the second post.
Attached Images

crf250r is offline   Reply With Quote