The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
Brewski*

I am going to lift it, but have a million ?z for all who have lifts.

Yes, I am going to lift the Red Rocket. But I have a million questions about what to do and how to do it. I think I need 4" lift minimum to clear 35" tires. Correct? What about rear springs: Do they make a great difference or just cost more money? My 3/4 ton is pretty stiff back there already. I know the blocks look crappy but who is really going to look besides me?
The Rocky Mountain suspension page Rocky Mountain says this:
Quote:
To correctly lift a solid axle General Motors vehicle, it is important to achieve the correct drag link angle. Most vehicles can be lifted 2" and maintain the correct angle. Lifts over 2" increase the distance between the link’s two attaching points causing the vehicle to "wander". These adverse angles also can cause premature wear on other steering components shortening their life expectancy. There are several options for correcting this angle, however, they all require an open knuckle, 3-bolt steering box. Prior to 1973, most vehicles are not so equipped. The best option is to upgrade the steering box to a 1973 style open knuckle type in order for the various dropped steering components to fit. No steering correction is made for the earlier version steering box. Once updated, the options for steering correction include steering arm, pitman arm, adjustable drag link or steering blocks.
IS ALL THIS NECESSARY? Has anyone here ever done this steering box change out? I don't want my truck to wander or tear up the stearing parts. What have you all done to your trucks to make them ride right? Any help much appreciated~!
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote