The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
northerngmc

Popping lower ball joint loose

Ok, I have been hammering and reading, search some more and reading some more, then more hammering.....

I am attempting to get the lower ball joint out of the spindle so I can change the front coil springs in my truck.

Truck is a 1968, 3/4 ton.

I have the tire off, the shock removed. The truck has a jack supporting the frame with a couple of axle stands in place as a back up plan. I have a floor jack sitting under the lower a arm, about an inch away.

I have the castle nut loosened on the ball joint and the top of the nut is flush with the top of the ball joint threads.

I have also inserted a bolt with sockets between the ball joints as a press. To the point I can not turn the nut any further.

I started with project yesterday afternoon and I have soaked the joint with penetrating oil.

I have read that I need to beat on the spindle where the ball joint goes through and it should pop. If not, get a bigger hammer and hit harder.

Do I need to remove the steering arm that wraps around the ball joint and connects to the spindle?

I am only able to get the ball end of a 2 lb hammer onto the corner of the pad and I am rounding the corner.

It is the right front corner and I have the wheels turned completely to the left to I can access it to pound on from the front.

How do I hit it with a bigger hammer?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote