The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
BigCountryx

What will happen if the TCC isn't wired up?

Just wondering what will happen if the vehicle is driven without having a brake switch hooked up to the TCC? If Pin 33 gets no power, the Converter will remain unlocked as if the brake is depressed all the time if I understand it correctly. What damage will be done to my trans if the TCC wire (Pin33) is not hooked to any power source? What problems should I expect other than potentially running my tranny at a higher temp and hwy gas mileage suffering?

I ask because after installing my new brake switch (from a 96 Camaro) and running it to pin 33 like all the articles say, the converter would not unlock. The switch is working properly, 12 volts to the pcm when not on the brake and zero volts to the pcm when the brake pedal is depressed. After a week of driving, it began to struggle to idle in gear. I unhooked it and now it doesn't die everytime I try to stop. Am I causing any damage driving it with the TCC unhooked? A local guy that has done quite a few LS swaps tells me he never hooks it up, but most of his swaps are for offroad or racing applications.

Specs
1970 C10
2001 5.3
1997 4L80e
Circle D "Performace" converter
2001 PCM and harness

Wiring changes and segment swap for the 4L80 are done and the trans shifts fine with the brake switch disconnected. I'm thinking there may be a short in the plug or wiring at the brake switch that causes voltage to be sent to the pcm when it shouldn't..... But my main question at the top of the post still stands.....