The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
bowtiebutler956

First start of my 84 C10 383 in over 5 years.

Hello all, I'm not new here, but this is my first post. Before talking about todays start up, I would like to give some history of my truck. I've owned this truck for 15 years. It started life with a 305, and a TH350c trans. I got it with a blown head gasket. I replaced the head gaskets, and it became my work truck. While it ran ok, the 305 was gutless, and it burned oil. Well, after a couple years, I bought a brand new Mr Goodwrench 350 for it which ran sooo much better. Although I had a hopped up 88 Mustang to get my performance fix from, I couldn't help but feel my truck could still use a little more power. I ended up putting a set of the cheap chinese Pro Comp aluminum heads on it, along with a Comp Cams 268 cam, as well as an Edelbrock performer intake with a Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb. It was much stronger than before, and I drove it like that for several years. Somewhere along the line the TH350c went out, so I did a 700r4 conversion with a mild shift kit.
I'm a family man with four kids, and things started getting tight, so I sold my Mustang, thinking I had no need for toys like that anymore. Man was I wrong! It wasn't long after that I started building a motor from scratch for my truck.
The build list was this.
010, 020 high tin, high nickel 4 bolt main 350 block that still had a STD bore. Had it bored .030, and honed with torque plates, as well as being stroker clearance. All machining done by Deleon Racing.
Scat 9000 crank with the aero counterweights.
Scat 6" I beam rods
Manley forged flat top pistons.
Rotating assembly also balanced by Deleon Racing.
Brodix IK200 heads, with 70cc chambers. 10.25 compression ratio. Pocket ported, and gasket matched.
Lunati VooDoo 60104 flat tappet 504/525 lift cam.
Harland Sharp roller rockers (1.5)
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake.
Holley 750 double pumper with contoured main body.
I also installed a ram air box on it.
1 5/8 headers with 2 1/2" exhaust with H pipe and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

Now it really ran GOOD!
I tried to continue using it as my daily driver/work truck, but it was obvious that wasn't going to work much longer. I did get a chance to take it to our local track (Edinburg Speedway) once where the best I could get it to do was a 14.40 at 102mph. By its trap speed, it should have been faster, but it has 3.42 gears, and that was on stock street tires with very little traction.
Eventually the trans started going out again, and I was getting tired of the non stop money pit this thing was. I ended up getting another truck, and parked this one under the carport where it sat for the last 5 years, untill yesterday. I can't believe how rusty all the chrome and such under the hood got over the years.
In the video below, its running off a gas can, the fuel in the tank is awful!!! I'll be pulling the gas tank as well as the trans here very soon to get her road worthy again. After hearing it run again, I'm very excited to get the rest of the truck back up. Thanks, and here is a video along with a couple pics.

Matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LprC_LPKj1c
Attached Images

bowtiebutler956 is offline   Reply With Quote