The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
skillet

HEI Hookup

I was remembering today previous discussions on this board about the size gauge wire for the HEI hookup. Wire size suggestions ranged anywhere from 14 gauge to 12, 10 or even 8. And while going thruogh some of my old magazine articles, I ran across a little info. on this subject in the Sept. issue of Car Craft on pg. 97. "HEI Hookup article" - "The factory used 12-gauge wire, but that's overkill in theory, only a 14-gauge wire is needed to juice a stock HEI.(though I would use bigger). The real problem is not the trigger wire itself, but low voltage at the ignition switch. Generally, the main feed wire thru. the bulkhead connector to the dash, ignition switch, and fuse panel is inadequate because the same input feed wire ultimately supplies power the head-lights, windshield wiper, rear brake lights, and heater/blower. At least the 72 Chevelle is better than prior yrs. because its horn relay-which also serves as the main pwr. distribution nexus-was relocated from its earlier location near the radiator to the firewall adjacent to the brake pwr. booster and master cylinder. Nevertheless, check for adequate underdash voltage by taking a reading off the brake or dome-light fuse. There should be at least 13.8 volts with the headlights on and the blower set to medium(with A/C cars set dash circuitry and powers the blower directly from under the hood). You also want to see 13.5 volts or more at the HEI input. If either condition is not met, install headlight relays and a high-amp integrally regulated alternator. The generic parts-store connector should work OK, but make sure it's fully seated within the HEI connector cavity and contact. It's possible to not fully engage an uninsulated terminal, resulting in intermittent contact or overheating. MAD Enterprises is one source for headlight relay kits, alternator conversion kits, and proper HEI connector and wiring instructions." Anyone tried headlight relays and what are your thoughts on them? I did install a remote solenoid(just one I bought off the shelf and made a bracket for the starter) and it solved my hot start problem and it even seems to improve cold weather starts.