The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
mx jim

Angry I Just Bought This Truck And I Already Broke It Help!!

Well I just bought a 1970 chevy 4x4 short bed and it was working pretty good until I broke it yesterday. What happen was I just fixed my brakes on the truck so went down the road to test them out and on my way back I thought I would put it in 4wheel drive. So I got out and locked the hubs and put it in 4wheel low and started up the road. I started to go up this one little hill and decided to go the other way so I backed down and started to go up this other road, and then something felt like it was binding when I started to move so I stopped and got out and looked underneath the truck and it seemed fine, so I drove back to my house (my house was only like 300 ft away) and when I got home I looked at my left front tire and the top of the tire was pointing in towards the engine. I jacked it up, and the wheel was moving back and forth like 5 to 6”. So I pulled the wheel and hub off and found out that I broke my spindle. What I want to no is how can you brake a spindle when all I did is go up a little hill and back down the little hill that’s all I did. So were is the best place to by a new or used spindle?? I was thinking of going to the junkyard and see if they have any front end parts for my truck. And how much do you think it is going to cost me to fix this problem????
Well thanks for any help
James

P.S. I am 18 and dont have a lot of money and i am trying to do this with out spending a hole lot. i