The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Henner

Joining the 67-72 Crew!

Hello all,
Here is my story on my 68 short step side (Orginally the 503 teal). My Great Grandfather ordered this truck new in 68 and had it delivered to the family farm in Orlando, Oklahoma. Before he passed away he handed it down to my Grandpa and that is where my memories started of riding around the back roads as a kid in the bed of the truck. When grandpa passed my father took over the truck and I was a little older and still remember at around 10-12 yrs old trying to learn to drive the 3 on the tree, we may have became professional bull riders and didn't even know it!!

As I became older and started my own life and family I wasn't as close to my father as I should have been. Received a call one day from my Uncle that my Dad had suddenly passed away. Once everything settled down all I requested was the family truck because I was next in line and it meant a lot to me. My Dads wife said he had sold the truck several years ago because times were very hard. So, I was on a mission to find this truck, a few years later I had finally found the truck and owner and it was only an hour away from me. I wrote the owner a letter thinking he probably thinks I am crazy. He wrote me back and said what an amazing story and I know this is the truck you are looking for because your Great Grandfather delivery tag is still in the glove box. But....... this truck is very special to my son and I now and it has been our project. Several months had passed and they called and said they would be willing to sell me the truck because they felt that was right.

So, here we are now. The WHOLE truck was sprayed flat black, air ride suspension was installed (manual, no compressor), Converted to disc brakes with 5 lug. 355 motor with Saginaw 4 speed.

It will be a long slow process for me to get this truck back to how I remember it and want it but, atleast I have it back. It does need a lot of work but it's not terrible and can be driven daily if wanted. So far I have fixed some minor issues and removed all the shaker can black from the interior bringing back the patina green interior. In the process of working on the exterior which is going to take FOREVER.

This forum has been great already for knowledge and advice and i'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you guys.
Attached Images

Henner is offline   Reply With Quote