The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
aotte1

Adding 1978 Factory Sway Bar to 1964 K10

Need help on how you added a factory sway bar to a 63 to 66 K10. Just installed a 1978 Dana 44 front axle in 1964 K10, including the sway bar. Issue is how to attach the front of the bar to the cross member. ( do not want to change out the cross member) My next step is to detached the 1978 front sway bar brackets from that cross member, and see how they fit the 1964 cross member. Possible add/make bushing for correct alignment and strength.

Any info on how other have done this would be very helpful.

First two photos are of the sway bar installed, but not attached to the cross member. Two questions I need to address: 1). what bracket to use/make for attaching it to cross member; and 2). what distance to position the bar from the frame for proper operation while driving. The measurements on the frame are distances from top of bar to bottom of frame.

I was thinking as a starting point, of measuring a '78 from bottom of the frame to top of bar to learn how it was positioned on that truck, thinking a lot of the front end geometry is similar from '63 to '87. Am I correct in this thinking?

Next photo is these brackets still attached to '78 cross member.

Last photo is the sway bar ends attached to the axle spring bracket.

Note: The newer Dana 44 just bolted right in, per the "Captains" and others knowledge.

Les
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 10-22-2015 at 05:17 PM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote