The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
South Florida C50

Not as HEAVY as I thought!

Such begins my nightmare of trying to find affordable insurance for my 69
C/50 here in south Florida. I've checked with 4 or5 major companies, everyone knows their names, and they all said "no way" to my pickup conversion. I do not meet the requirements for the more classic companies like Hagertys. I have 2 options left, using my in-laws address who live 100 miles north of me, putting them on my title and using their farm land address as my home base. Registering my C/50 as a farm use vehicle. or.....striking up a deal with Farm Bureau Insurance who will only take the truck as a courtesy to me if I let them insure my primary vehicles and my wife's car. What a crock!
They said they would NOT insure the C/50 as a stand alone vehicle, it was all my cars or nothing. Plus if the truck weighed over 10,000 lbs. the deal was off. Florida law says: any truck weighing over 5,000 lbs. must be registered as a commercial vehicle, I'm OK with that I guess, it just means that I have to buy the tag for that vehicle during the month of Dec. Well to make a long story shorter, I drove it to a very near by truck stop today and had it officially weighed and it came in at a puny....... 6,720 lbs. Here are few pic's of the new rear bumper I installed today along with the mint, vintage original Broward county truck tag I found on eBay for it. My fingers are crossed that I can get this beast insured and tagged in the next 2 weeks or so. So if you take any away from my rambling blah, blah, blah its this; if you have a 67-72 Chevy C/50 that you convert into a pickup that has a 4 speed/split tranny, a 350 small block, an 8 ft. fleet side bed, and your missing a tailgate, your truck should weigh about....6,720 lbs.
Attached Images

South Florida C50 is offline   Reply With Quote