The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
jhama78

New project '86 GMC K1500 SWB - Few questions

Posting up a few pics of my latest acquisition, 86 GMC SWB 4wd. Bought it from the 2nd owner who drove it to the east coast from Colorado. Started life as a 305 truck and its had a 350 gm crate engine swapped in as well as a rebuilt 700R4 installed last year. The truck runs and drives well for its age but like anything thats 29 years old with 150K miles it needs a little bit of work.

My immediate plans are to get a new muffler and tailpipe on it and check out the necessary stuff that it needs to pass Va inspection - lights, wipers, brakes, etc. Also I plan on cleaning up (i.e. ditching) a bunch of the vac lines on the smog stuff since they are falling apart and I dont want to have to deal with vacuum leaks. And before the emissions police pipe up, I dont have to worry about that on a vehicle this old in the area that I live.

Also the stock electric quadrajet is in need of a rebuild/cleaning, so I will most likely buy a reman carb from summit, jegs, etc without the electronics to replace it. While I am at it I plan on swapping out the ESC controlled distributor with a standard late 70s era HEI in order to simplify that as well.

Any tips/pointers that you all can provide so far as desmogging/converting the carb and distributor over to pre-80s configuration would be welcomed.

Here are a few pics of the truck as I got it, I will post another set of pics along with a few more questions below.

SPID
Name:  GMC SPID.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  GMC RF.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  GMC RR.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  GMC Engine.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  GMC Int.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  69.1 KB

'06 3500 LWB CC 4wd, 8.1 Allison

Last edited by jhama78; 11-13-2015 at 01:48 PM.
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote