The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #1
greywuuf

truckers advice for winter driving requested

i have a couple of single axle tandem dual wheel truck ... one a super short '50 GMC 350 and one is my longer Chevy H70 flatbed. Both have demonstrated a marked tendency to be helpless when the road surface is anything other than bare and dry. I parked my H70 ( 6v53n with 5 speed and single speed rear) in my front yard... on the grass. First snow we had .. literally about 2" and I was unable to get over the slight incline and into the drive way I had to get out my old perforated "landing mats" to get it moving and parked again.

I had planned on using this beast through the winter to haul trash and simple stuff like that but now I am afraid to even drive it. short of putting a huge amount of weight on the bed, or installing the tire chains I have is there something that I should be aware of ? are dualies without weight ( this one has a 16' steel flat bed...looks pretty heavy to me ) totally helpless ? I have heard that pulling the outside dual and flipping the inner ( too keep the track about the same ) helps in slick conditions. granted the tires are old hard bias plies and not the best... but I am loathe to replace them until I can get away from my 20" splits... and that is more money than I have right now. Any recommendations ?

Dan
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote