The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
rtinniste

new AD s10 swap member intro

Hey guys been lurking on this forum for the past month. Just figured i would do a quick intro.
Just finished up 2 builds, my infiniti g35 lays frame tucking 19x10.5 -20 offset and 19x11.5 -15 offset lots of rare and discontinued parts from japan boring. And full resto 1978 datsun 280z (same body as 240z,260z) for my younger brothers graduation gift. This bit me and got me pushed over to older all steel no CA smog cars.

Just picked up a 51 chevy 3100 about 3 weeks ago. Truck is all original minus 12v conversion from what i was told. Some rust small spot in the bottom cab corner and the driver cowl is rotted out and someone decided bondo was a sutable repair and decided front fenders wuld be cool bondoed to the cab.
Plan was simple 4 link, mustang ii clip, bags, truespoke supremes wide whites, keep the straight 6 and 4 speed until funds allowed for a mild built 350/700r4. Just to get the truck drivable and lay running boards.

Truck was parked 8 years ago ran and drove when parked. After changing all the fluids and some issues with napa not having the right oil filter. threw a battery in hit the starter... Starter just spins doesn't engage simple couple wacks with my trusted multi tool aka hammer. Try again motor spins but doesn't turn over. So start checking the ignition switch then that's when i smelt the burning wire smell. Great disconnect the battery. This is where my original plan goes out the window.

That's when i noticed the motor was swapped to a 235, the worst wiring job I've ever come across. I do alot of trouble shooting on air ride installs stereo installs and suspension installs, I've seen my fair share of sketch. This hands down was top 3. Wires ran thru the fire wall with no grommets, solid strand home depot wires, wires snaked thru any hole they can find wires doubling back and snaking thru holes, no fuses electric fan, tape deck, lights under the dash. Mechanical fan with a electric pusher fan, radiator that had the drain valve jb welded on holes that were patched with jb weld. But got the motor turned over and running after jumping the positive wire from the coil pack to the battery.

That's when i started researching for a better budget ifs swap. The mustang ii was over priced and seemed weak and I don't even want to waste the time and money getting the 235 up and running. I'd rather just sell it to fund the 350 swap.

That's when i came across this website and first and foremost like to give a huge thank you to 99 to life, bartman, and skymangs for there detailed threads. You guys are the reason why I ended up going the s10 route.

Well spent 2 weeks looking for a decent frame or complete truck. Well come to find out its hard to find a first gen s10 single cab longbed the market has dried up or they want top dollar here in so cal $900 for a rolling chassis $2k-$5K for a running truck. I was dead set on buying this guys 92 s10 with a 350/th350 swap and 6" drop he was asking 2 grand but funds were low.

So i kept looking in the mean time had a air ride setup to trouble shoot ended up having to reline the car and rewire it quick $300 bucks. Then seems everything lined up perfect found a 1986 s10 longbed roller chassis 2 hours from my house. Didn't even haggle with the guy and picked it up for $300 on Saturday.

That's where i am as of now sorry for the long winded intro and again thanks to the guys that document their s10 swaps and go out of their way to help spread info on these swaps.
rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote