The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
Wilson!

CTS-V front calipers with 14" rotors

This is a little project I have been working on for my 65 GMC. I am converting the front to disc using CPP modular drop spindles, so I figured it would be as good a time as any to come up with something better than the standard 12" rotor and cast iron single piston caliper or spending an arm and leg for an "out of the box Big Brake Kit". I dug through some catalogs and looked over various rotor and caliper combinations until I found something that would work with minimal modification, and as few custom parts as possible.

Here's what I have so far. I used the CPP modular drop spindle, a custom caliper bracket, '06 CTS-V caliper (4 piston Brembo) and pads, an OE '86 C10 rotor with the rotor cut off and turned down in a brake lathe to make it just a hub, 14" 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee front rotor (for V8 application), and longer wheel studs. I have an aftermarket flat style bearing dust cover coming.

You can kind of see in the first pic the size difference between the '87 single piston caliper and the CTS-V unit, yet the CTV-S unit is a lot lighter. I'll try and get a pic of the difference in rotor size soon, but it's basically a 12" vs a 14".

These will be going on the front with a modded 1996 Impala SS combination valve, master cylinder for a 70's Vette, and 1996 Impala SS rear disc using CaptianFap's brackets.

Pics of the fronts assembled on the bench (I'll get more pics once I get them on the truck).

rears

Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote