The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
jason999

My Doors Close Now - Here's What Made The Difference

Hello,

I've been working on my 66 C-10 for sometime. I had lots of problems with the doors closing and Ive sought advice on here a few times. So here's what I did to fix mine.

In the beginning, one of my striker plates was adjusted way in and the door would only catch on the first position. I moved the striker plate out (toward the door), which was counter-intuitive, but it helped a lot. Thanks 66-72forum!

Next I bought Honda Civic Coupe weatherstripping. It worked great and I highly recommend it. On the passenger side one of my 3 screws that holds latch in place was gone. When I screwed a third screw in, it pulled the latch out more than I ever thought that it could and allowed it to meet the striker plate properly. A little striker plate adjustment and the door closes very easily. One down......

Nothing seemed to work on the drivers door. Closing it from inside the truck was especially difficult. No matter what, it just wanted a solid push to catch properly. I started examining the door parts closely. First I noticed that the door control (some call it a remote control) had a small piece missing just above where the inside door handle connects. I could see this only with my door panel off but I felt slop in my handle before. This small piece was formed from flat metal and it was meant to keep play out of the door handle mechanism.

I was sure this was my problem but I kept looking. I found that there was also play in the actual door latch. The gear wheel that catches the striker plate was sloppy. It was not properly connected with the circular piece of metal that sits behind it. I realized that it was incorrect by comparing the passenger side latch to the drivers side.

I decided to order the latch $56 and the door control $21 from classicparts.com. Installation took 5 minutes and the difference is amazing!!! Reproduction parts can be questionable but these two parts fit perfectly and my door closes and opens easily.

I wasn't an old car guy before this truck and my doors were hard to close so I wondered if that was just part of an old truck.

Now both of my doors close easily on the the first try. I don't have to slam them at all. I can give my door a push and let go of it before it meets the striker and it will close. I used to have to give the door a solid push into the striker plate.

So, you might inspect your latch and door control if your door wont close easily. I fixed my headache for $76!

I debated on the Honda Civic Coupe weatherstripping because of cost. It's around $100, but I think its worth it. It fits perfectly and my doors close perfectly! Thanks OP on the FAQ.

P/N 72315-SVA-A01ZA for the right side.
P/N 72355-SVA-A01ZA for the left side.

Thanks,
Jason
jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote