The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Man I swear this truck is just BAD LUCK.

Can't wait to get it sold and let someone else's luck have a shot at it.

Pulled the Dart block motor and took a nice little 383 short block I have had sitting here for a number of years all sealed in a engine bag. The motor used to be in the shoebox Nova when it was a mid-10 second car (with different cam and top end)

Anyways with the 70cc chambers of these AFR220 heads it made a nice little 9.2:1 pump gas motor for the ol girl. It's a GMPP 4bolt casting,, with ARP studs, Cola crank, Eagle ESP 6" H-beam rods, SRP flat top pistons, Put the AFR 220's heads with the Crower shaft rockers,, and a moderate little Howards hydraulic roller cam. Ought to make a plenty stout street motor for the truck to go on the market.

Put it on my test stand and to set timing, but a used short block and hydraulic roller,,, it really didn't need any 'break-in', but just more a systems check so to speak. Well good thing I did,, had a rear main leaking like a sieve.

So back on the engine stand and flip it over,, find I put the wrong rear-main seal in it. (used one for a 400 apparently <shrugs> don't know how the hell i did that!!!) Not a big deal...
BUT the bad luck.... rear main bearing looks like CRAP!!! I don't know WHAT or WHEN trash went through this motor,, but the King bearings did their job well. The crank is all but pristine,, but looks like it's all coming apart AGAIN for bearings and when your that far,,, might as well touch hone and put new rings,,, polish the crank,,,,

ShEEEEZUS will it never end with this damn truck!!!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote