The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
Purcell69

Re: 48 Chevy COE custom diesel build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance48 View Post
Been peckin around on this thing a little lately. Got the front end mounting sorted, filled my bumper gap, finished the bumper mounts(decided to make bumper removable). Then, I made some phone calls in search of rad and intercooler. Called TCP, the guy informed me that using electric fans on the rad was a bad idea. The stock engine driven fan, at high working rpm' swill put out almost double the cfm's of two good 16" fans together. Which, will not cool the engine sufficiently , especially should I really use the truck. So...back to the drawing board I went.

Chance
Chance, I would research the whole electric fan thing a bit further. The 6BT Cummins is not notorious for running hot anyway, not like a BBC. They don't need a lot to keep them cool and happy. The stock electric clutch on the cooling fan on my 2003 Cummins seldom kicks in, and usually only on the hottest days, with the AC on. You can definitely hear the difference when the fan is not freewheeling. If you are concerned about cooling, especially with a smaller radiator, check in to a two stage fan from the mid-1990s Lincoln Continental or the Taurus. 1995 is a good target year as I recall, and is probably similar to the P71 police interceptor Crown Vics, up through 2005 or so. The rock crawler guys in Jeep Cherokee XJs swear by these. Peak CFM is over 4,000 when the fan kicks in to high gear, around 2,500 at low speed, as I recall.

-Joe