The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
joeydurango

Thinking about another truck and need some opinions...

...and we all know what they say about opinions - everybody's got one.

I had to sell my truck some months ago. Was bummed but needed the cash. Things are better now and I'm thinking about getting another K10, but more stock/original than the last one (which was LS-swapped and lifted). Found one and have been talking with the seller, and I have a few questions for the board. See attached photos for reference. A little info first:

-'72 K10 Cheyenne Super longbed, 350/350.
-Sounds like it's pretty much original, with no known rebuilds of anything, no known repaint beyond touch-ups, etc.
-Everything pretty much works, no major known issues.
-Odometer reads 41k, although it's probably 141k.
-From the photos, I can tell it needs cab mounts.
-Needs tires, no spare, surface rust here and there, small oil leaks - little things.
-Things that make me concerned: The drip rail has been completely filled in with Bondo; The AC compressor is beginning to make noise; there's occasionally drips of coolant inside the cab; and when cold, it takes a moment to engage in reverse.

Given all that, my questions are:
-If the drip rail's been Bondo-ed for years and there's no bubbling or obvious rust, is that probably okay?
-Is it possible to buy a shorter v-belt and simply bypass the AC compressor altogether?
-That in-cab coolant leak could be anything from a loose connection to a bad heater core. Is the heater core swap as bad as I've always heard?
-I am clueless when it comes to transmissions. Is the slow-to-engage-reverse a sign of a necessary impending rebuild, or could it be a simple linkage adjustment?

And finally, most importantly: What do you figure it's realistically worth? I've got my idea, but I want to hear yours...
Attached Images

1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED

Last edited by joeydurango; 12-07-2015 at 12:01 AM.
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote