The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Why do people Nickle and dime this hobbie

Something i hear so often from so many that wonder in to this hobbie or way of life.

Most say they are not a Body man or Mechanic.I hear i want a cab with no cancer and i want a running truck that has no problems.It sounds simple.

Most of the veterans that bleed for this hobbie that have over 15-25 of of these truck Know what to look for when they go looking at trucks for sale.Some of the guys are flippers.Good money in there trucks.

Now here is the rear Question.When is it best to spend a little more then be cheap.Will explain.

Lets say you are looking at 2 trucks.The cost of one is a steal $900.00 they other one is 2500.00.

Ya you can pay 900.00 for a basket case Needs cancer work needs interior wire harness motor.

Now for a new comers what is the best advise you can give them.

A check list easy real easy.

first of all is now days a cab with AC That's first on my list.But what you really need is a cab with NO cancer or only 5% max is 15% for me.

so CAB with NO cancer and AC some times best to bring a flash light and a Creeper or a big peace of cardboard If there is a lot of Grease under the cab that's good cus road salt grease don't like each other very much a dry under carrage is not always a welcome site.

One thing i look for is abuse.Mostly on the frame look for the front shock holes most in the back east states with salt eats up Frames and the shocks get loose and you have a bigger hole Cancer like to east steal as much as tin just takes a little longer.

Making sure the frame is straight

But my main this is If you can spend a little more for a trucks that has has the body work done and the wiring down right and you have a good rolling chassis with no motor for 5000.00 BUY it if your not good with body or putting stuff together.

Motors and transmissions and rear ends are easy If you can wait and find some one that having a hardship and they spent the farm on there truck and need to sell it for dirt cheap Buy it you will like you and your pocket book later.

Most of the Flippers Call them scores Big money scores
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote