The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
comeaud

Vortec conversion in a 1999 GMC K2500

Hey everyone. I don't know if this is the place to post this but I have just about given up on this truck.

I have a 1999 GMC K2500 with a 350 Vortec in it. Over the years I have rebuilt countless 350s and other V8 engines and never before have I run into so many problems with an engine.

The story is that the motor had over 350,000 miles on it. A piston cracked which obviously put a stop to the engine. I ordered a rebuild kit, as well as new factory style heads and a distributor. I completely rebuilt the engine, installed new fuel injection and and EGR valve. After reinstalling the engine and making all of the connections the engine started and instantly popped a code. P1345 which is Cam / Crank sensor correlation error. The engine ran like junk and backfires. It was so bad that I dropped the pan and removed the timing cover to ensure that I had the mechanical timing correct. As I suspected the timing was exactly were it should have been. After beating my head against the wall I had 3 friends separately check the work and nothing was wrong.

I towed to the truck to a very well respected garage to have them look at it. They connected it to a bi directional code reader and adjusted the Cam Retard Offset to within -2 to +2 degrees as specified by the manufacturer. It still runs like ****. They changed the spider out thinking the one I installed was defective. No change. New computer, new cam and crank sensor, checked fuel pump,new distributor again, NOTHING.

Needless to say, its junk.

I love the truck, it's solid as far as the body and frame goes. I want to fix it but I want to divorce myself from this computerized bull****. SO here is where my questions come in.

Can a 350 Vortec be modified to be a carbureted engine with an MSD aftermarket ignition system for example?

If this is the case obviously there is no TPS on a carburetor. Is there a way to make a carburetor that is set up for a mechanical kick down compatible with the computerized controls required for the 4L80E?

Does anyone know if someone makes a carburetor that comes equipped with the proper connections to the computer that would allow the truck toknow when the transmission should shift?

If the 4L80E is not a viable option for this situation and I need to run traditional carb and ignition system, is there a transmission that has mechanical controls like a 350 Turbo or 400 that can be attached to this engine?

I know that it would be easier to just put a different engine that is working correctly into the truck but I just dumped a bunch or time and completely new components into this engine and I would rather not lose all of them.

Thanks in advance!
comeaud is offline   Reply With Quote