The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Supergas

Question Bed Floor in 67 SWB Options.

My truck came with the wood floor option, which was completely gone when I got it and I am really having a hard time deciding if I want to mess with wood.

My problem is that I want to use the truck not just look at it.. it is in great shape, no rust all original etc, etc, but I am not going to try to make a fancy truck out of it.. it is going to be driven frequently.. Plus I live in South Texas close to the coast and it is hot and humid with slight salty air. Non of this is good for long term varnished wood.

So, my dilemma: Three Options as I see it..

1. If I do the the wood bed, I will use Trex decking in place of real wood.

2. I can buy a premade metal bed for around $1000, but they are probably "Hecho en China" and I don't want that..

3. Or I can buy Diamond Plate steel and make a bed from that. I can then paint it or use Bed Liner. (I did this on a IH Scout and it worked out great) I welded it in and used 3M 2 Part Seam Sealer, painted it Black and it looked OEM and was virtually indestructible..

For the C10 I would probably bolt it in instead of welding it but still use the seam sealer.. that way if I wanted to change later or remove it I would have that option..

I would like feed back from any of you who have done any of the above and your opinions.

If anyone has done the Diamond Plate, please respond with your likes and or dislikes..

Thanks,

Supergas.

2021 Chevy Silverado CC Custom (DD)
2018 Tahoe LS
1964 Oldsmobile F85 Post
Supergas is offline   Reply With Quote