The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
chrismoore701

Strange push button start issue

Here is the back ground 1979 stepside, frame off, painless harness
I took the switchable lead from the fuel pump (pump not used), and ran it over to a push button in the ashtray. So you have to turn the key on, push the button and bam we're running. Been having some trouble lately and not sure why. I try to start it, it will bump and then dead. Thought it was the neutral switch. Started to chase it and the switch has continuity. Checked the pushbutton. No power to it. Checked the fuel pump fuse and it was blown. 15 Amp. replaced it and it started and the second try blew again. I hooked the key start back up and it fired up good. Not sure why this is happening. It has worked for months. The wires are wrapped with wire loom. have not been under the dash in a while. Had this issue twice before, but it wasnt the fuse that blew, just stopped working.

The battery was low, would that put too much stress on the solinoid to cause it to pop that fuse. I guess it may be possible the wire from the push button could be shorted somewhere. If the wire from the fuel pump to the switch was shorted it would blow the fuse as soon as I plugged it in.

I will look at this, how ever I do not think it is the wire. I wonder if my starter is going out. I did not replace it. it is probably 20 years old, but works good
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote