The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
joeydurango

Is this column part replaceable, or am I missing something?

Been looking over my new 72 K10 Super closely to see what's what. The shifting action is very sloppy (350). The bushing/pin that holds the shift lever to the collar is worn, but that's not all - I can shift into any gear without pulling the lever towards the steering wheel.

Looking at this thread gave me some great info, but my column doesn't even have the part marked in red in the last attached photo, which I borrowed from the linked thread. The linkage rod simply bolts, with the standard drawbolt, to the collar lever. See attached photos of my truck above the borrowed one.

Is this part replaceable? Or is there another method of keeping the shifter solidly in gear that isn't working on my 72? The truck in the other thread is a 70, so not the same year as mine.

EDIT: Looking at those photos, I just realized the "collar lever" on my truck doesn't have the formed shape in the middle of the lever anyway, so it wouldn't work with a plate like that 70 has. What's going on here, and how is this column supposed to keep someone from shifting into reverse accidentally, etc?
Attached Images

1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote