The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
runpasthefence

Roll Cage, sort of...

Let me start off by saying I have zero experience in cage design, I've never owned a caged car/truck, and I've never required an approved cage for racing or anything like that. I'm a cage virgin.

That said, I've just been thinking of the feasibility of having a custom cage built for my 50 project. I should be putting down around 500hp when it's all said and done, and I find myself wanting a little peace of mind once she's on the road. I should mention that I commute daily on a motorcycle, so this really isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm exploring some options. Here are my thoughts:
  • Seat belt/harness anchor points would be substantial
  • Rollover and impact accident survival chances could be improved
  • Chassis stiffness

BUT, and it's a big but, I don't want to have to tie into my frame rails by going through the rear of the cab like this:

That's for a number of reasons, but mainly because I'm trying to maintain as much usability of the bed as I can.

TL;DR: If I'm not worried about any racing organization approving my cage, is there any advantage to adding a roll cage that doesn't tie to frame rails through the rear, or am I being stupid?
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote