The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #27
AKC

Re: Cab/Roof/Clearance Lights- Who Has Added Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
You have Yankee 77's. They have a single screw towards the rear of the lens, if they were glass, over tightening the screw would surely break the glass. The glass type used a metal base with gasket, then glass lens with gasket, then a chrome bezel to hold it on. California sun got the best of those. There are repro 77's in a all plastic housing you can get for $30 I think, I have a set here that came with a truck I got. I do remember replacing original lenses in the 1990's for the same white-out condition as yours for $12 per lens on a 70 K-10 lwb step side I had.
Thanks for the info. I found new lenses at taillight king. For all I know, these may have been purple lenses to begin with and as you said, SoCal sun bleached them out. Purple would not surprise me one bit, considering the rest of the "stylings" I removed from the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
The Yankee 77 was the factory installed cab light up until 68 and was even came from the factory on Suburbans up to 72. It was the dealer installed option well into the 80s. The "cheap" versions found at LMC and on EBAY I have found to be of very good quality and an exact match. If you go with this style I suggest you find a cheap used set of factory installed 67-68 lights off the board just for the molded rubber bases. The aftermarket and even most NOS Yankee lights will come with a very cheap flimsy foam gasket. The factory lights used a very good quality rubber base anf will fit the aftermarket lights fine.
Mine have the nice rubber bases, the housings are in OK shape, I think new lenses will ginger things up a bit.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote