The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
_AJ_

54 Duramax build

I'm about done with my 54 so I thought Id share with everybody my progress on this thing. I started looking for a 47-54 truck about a year ago with intentions of doing an LS swap and taking it on the 2016 Hot Rod Power Tour. The plan got a little off track but it'll still be on the power tour come this June. I found this one locally (west texas) and its been a west texas truck its entire life so rust was almost none, cab corners, floor pans, all in great shape. Here it is the day I drug it home

I immediately started tearing the factory drivetrain out

In the middle of planning the LS swap an 07 LBZ Duramax/ Allison pullout popped up on CL locally for a price that I couldn't pass up. So I snagged it with no idea if it could be made to fit. But I figured it was worth a shot.

I got it tore down the the frame

I called Heidts and talked to them about the added weight of the diesel drivetrain and ended up ordering the MII front and 4 link rear setup from them.

I boxed the frame while I had everything off.

Then it was time to see if the duramax could be made to fit.

Got the cab on and started test fitting inner fenders, radiator, etc.

I had to trim the drivers side inner fender to make room for the power steering pump pulley, but other than that it fit nice and snug everywhere, everything is almost touching everything else, but that's ok. I obviously had to cut the cab to make room for the Allison

The outside will be left as is, I love the Patina on this truck but I wanted the interior nice so I got started on that.

So the truck likes this currently

It starts and runs, I've driven it around the block a few times. Gotta get the windshield put in and then I'll venture off to further parts of town to work out any bugs that might pop up. It seems this is sure an abbreviated version of how the truck got to where it is but hopefully its a good shortened version, lol.
_AJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote