The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
dracko

NP440 MY6 trans install in a 64-66?

I've gotten some very good info from folks on the board already, but have a couple questions on installing this trans in my '64. It will be behind a 1968 327.

Firstly, does it matter if the engine is in the forward or rearward set of motor mount holes? I was planning to use the rear holes if that will work with the repop shroud from LMC.

I have the non-hydraulic bell housing with the clutch fork on the drivers side like the sm465 that was in there, Can I just reuse the original clutch fork and Z bar? Same throwout bearing?

The new bell housing doesn't have mount flanges/holes for the crossmember, so I'll be installing a rear crossmember. Can I just remove the old bellhousing crossmember? or is it better to just leave it if it doesnt interfere with anything?

Lastly, after sliding in the engine/trans and bolting the motor mounts up, it should be centered side to side, How do I make sure the the trans is sitting at the proper angle?

Thanks for any help with this, I'd really like to get things prepped as best as possible in advance.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote