The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
msg

Where to start on this blasted cab?

Been waiting a long time to get to this, but I have finally gotten my cab blasted and delivered and I knew it was going to be alot of work with my MIG. But whats the right steps to take to get it done?

Here is what it looks like, both driver and passenger sides are in the same shape.

I have patch panels for the floor front side, rocker panels and cab corners so far.

QUESTIONS
  1. Should I paint the epoxy primer that I have been using on the other panels and frame, before doing the repairs? Its bare metal; now so Im concerned about potential rust although its stored in a conditioned garage. But Im also concerned about having sprayed the primer and after all repairs are made having to re sand w 80 grit to get the next primer coat going, cause Im pretty sure the 6 day window I would have to recoat without sanding/scuffing would be long gone at the pace I work. I'm assuming it's best to paint the primer and just sand/scuff later to get the next coat but wanted to get your opinions.
  2. Where to make the first repair, then second, third...etc.? Is there an order I should go in?
  3. How to make the repairs without causing problems? Structurally, ill have to take sections away and I would think it might throw things out of alignment right?

Any tips/tricks you guys have for getting this done right would be appreciated.