The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Scott76

79 C10 project

Picked this truck up a couple weeks ago for 2175. 30 over 454 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 650 Holley carb. The body is very rough, but I'm okay with that for now. It was an eBay purchase, so I rolled the dice a little bit I suppose, especially since I drove 800 miles one way to get it.

It ran and drove, and seemed pretty problem free driveline wise. It is very rough though, and the interior will be a total redo. There is a lot of hack work on it, for example using 2" primary long tube headers on the passenger side and block huggers on the right. Entire exhaust system was held in place with bailing wire.

Get it home and it won't start because the battery is drained, so there must be a loss somewhere. Noticed a few other things like leaking power steering lines, broken turn signal cam, numerous other little things. Someone cut an inch out of the lower frame rails to fit the stupid big headers, no big deal welded it back up.

I ordered new 1 7/8" primary tube headers, an x pipe, a couple flowmasters and some tubing. Also put American Racing Boulevard wheels in 18x9 with 285/40s all the way around. Also dropped it 4.5/6 with dropped spindles and springs up front and a flip kit in the rear. Put on a Quick Fuel 780 carb since the Holley it had on it was rough and had no choke provisions. I've ordered new floor pans, a new turn signal cam, a TCI Outlaw shifter, cab body mounts and a ton of other little things. This weekend I hope to get the exhaust welded up and fit some of the other things, found some wires melting into the headers, etc.

It's been fun, but a struggle at times. I've been building bikes from the ground up for the past couple decades, including crank up motor builds, but I'm finding there just isn't much crossover besides basic mechanical ability. There are just so many more systems and so much more complexity. It seems like I'm finding so many things I just know nothing about.
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote