The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
Farm Shop

Re: 1970 C10 2wd SWB budget daily driver

Nothing overly exciting to update on, just replacing rusty panels. I started on the passenger side floor, and inner/outer rocker. This truck had dirt, leaves, and other junk in every possible place it would sit, so the bottom of the A pillar and kick panel need some work as well.

I am not going for a 100 point restoration finish with this truck, therefore instead of a perfectly trimmed butt weld fit, the floors are being installed with a 1" lap joint *gasp!*. I'm using copper-weld between the panels, fully welding the interior, stitching on the underside, and the seam sealer on both sides. The floor braces were also wire brushed and sprayed with cooper-weld, and the outer brace was treated and primed/painted on the inside

This was while still fitting/trimming the replacement panel down.

Mice had taken up residence in the heater box, and consequently chewed away 1/4 of the blower fins in the process. Any recommendations for ways to clean up the inside of the heater box under the dash? Its in ok shape, but will reek of mouse piss unless I do something... maybe wash it with bleach?

I also pulled the outer rocker off the driver side when I ran out of shielding gas in the welder. The driver side is in much better shape, but will still require the same panels to be replaced.

That's all for now. It'll be a while until the next fun update. I plan to get the cab all solid and sealed up before moving on to the next step of pulling the cab and bed off to blast/prime/paint the chassis.

Last edited by Farm Shop; 02-26-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Farm Shop is offline   Reply With Quote