The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Claudman

Ranch Truck 67 C10 Short Wheelbase Big Window

This is my 1st post and I wanted to introduce myself and my new truck, a 67 C10 Short wheelbase with big window. Following are some pictures

Interesting option was the speed warning (which still works).

The PO's (there were three in total) made some good changes and maybe not so good changes.

The original truck had a chrome bumper and Side Trim Molding, which you can see are gone. The holes for the trim molding are sealed with body filler. I haven't decided if this is good or bad. I like the look without molding, but I also like the stock look.

The original engine and transmission are both gone replaced by a crate 350 with vortex heads (170-180 compression in all cylinders) and an 700R4 transmission. Motor seems to be in great shape, runs well, and only seems to have an issue with a little oil smoke on startup. I'm guessing the valve seals, but since this is my first Chevy since 1978, I'm starting with very little experience. Transmission is not so good and I am still working to figure out if the TV cable is set properly or if the transmission is shot. Seems to slip between 1st and 2nd under full throttle. I have replaced the carb bracket and the TV cable and adjusted per what I can find on the internet, but it still acts up, so I'm guessing the transmission needs work. Anyway, it's great that I have an automatic overdrive in the truck and that the drive shaft was replaced with a one piece drive shaft.

Suspension and steering are all a hand full now. I have been driving a Acura RDX as my daily and also have a 72 Datsun 510 wagon which is highly modified with motor and suspension changes. Both these rides handle like go carts compared to the C10. Yeah, I know its a truck, but driving this thing (no front swaybar, no power steering, no power brakes, 4 wheel drums) really makes me wonder why it is still in one piece.

Well, no worries since I have already got a Ridetech coilover suspension package, power steering conversion, 4 wheel disc brakes with power booster, 5 lug rear axles and front sway bar on order.

The cab is generally rust free. The truck spent it's life in the hill country of Texas which is mostly very dry. The drip rails on both sides seem to have some rust bubbles and a little rust in the door corners on the outside. Rocker panels look OK at this point, but I wonder what it looks like on the inside. Anyway, at this point the paint is OK for now.

My biggest issue now is selection of wheels and tires. I would like to keep all the wheels and tires the same size if possible, but would like any suggestions on wheel size and backspacing you might have. I want at least an 18" wheel, but am willing to consider 20" wheels, but am a little worried about bending a rim since I do plan on driving it and don't want to worry about bending an expensive rim.

Once I have all the parts I plan on pulling the bed off to install all the Ridetech parts, fixing the bed and putting it back together. Any suggestions on wheels and tire would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Tim
Claudman is offline   Reply With Quote