The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Hotdog

1406 eldelbrock carb

Hello I'm a newbie. Needing some help pretty please.
1971 c-10 pick up. Motor is a 350 sbc 14010207 year 1980-1985. Heads are 3917291 camel hump 1.6/1.94. Rebuilt.
Intake is the eldelbrock performance RPM. New 1406 600cfm electric choke eldelbrock carburetor. New HEI msd street fire 8362, new plug wire I made made my self and check with ohm meter. Hope there good. new camshaft is a jegs part#200004. 282/282. New lifters, push rods and rocker arms. 1.5. Th350c transmission. Been haggling with it for a year now. I have a 2 yrs old son as to why it takes a while he won't let me out of sight lol Everything else is original. 40 hg on vacuum. Timing set at 16/18. Plugged or cap off no difference in vacuum advance.
I adjusted timing and carburetor with vacuum gage. To the highest reading.
Fuel regulator set at 5.5. Fires right up.
I had a leak at passenger exhaust. Put a new one on, Canceled that sound Now it sounds like my lifters are knocking on passenger side. Readjusted lifters no difference. spark plugs are black soot all 8.
Carburetor is new and no upgrades. 1/2" spacer.
I'm running rich and regardless of speed it Boggs out real bad. At first drives good if I let off of pedal and slightly or hard push the pedal is when it Boggs out comes back when I stop and it's good again. tried different accelerator holes. If I put in the middle the idle adjuster screw is out all the way and idling at 1000-1200 rpms. I've swapped out step up springs no difference. I readjusted floats to there spec (7/16/15/16). Cleaned carb screens were filthy and installed an inline fuel filter from tank to fuel pump. And 1 between pump and carb. Been through 3 sets of plugs. 44t and now I got in 45ts gap at 45". Now I've tried new accelerator pump. And put in bigger needle and seat assemble tried bottom hole did not run rich to bad. Drove around the block did good for a minute and came back. If i put in the middle hole feels like it has more power but Boggs and runs a bit rich. Plus the idle screw is all the way out. Idling at 1000. In gear around 700rpms. If put in the top hole then it dies on me unless I ease into the pedal. Haven't tried metering rods or jets simply cause I can't grasp the concept and As well as people say the 1406 is lean out of the box purchase it of eBay. Please please someone help me.
Sent from my iPhone
Hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote