The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
slotard

Re: 1976-1980 Chevy trucks smog exempt in California S.B.1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
No reason to cut up any of these trucks if they are able to pass smog. I have a 85 GMC with all the smog crap possible and even though I`m still trouble shooting things to get my CEL to go out so I can smog it, dealing with the smog stuff isnt too bad unless you are trying to hot rod the trucks.

With that said I have no problem with them bumping it up to 1980 but keep in mind that does not mean these trucks can be modified without problems. The law states that the smog equipment must still be installed if pulled over and inspected for any reason.

It`s issues like this that makes me think GM should drop the price of their EROD engine packages. I`d love to have a 430hp LS engine in my truck and be 50 state smog legal but I cant justify $12k for the package.
Yep, a few years ago a friend of mine got a smog ticket in a 1973? Porsche 914 that hadn't needed a smog test in several years. He had to go to the ref and everything, wasn't easy to get it to pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
I really hope this pans out. I stress out everytime i take my'78 for smog check. When smog check started it was supposed to be a rolling 20 year exemption...meaning '96 wouldnt smog this year.
I thought it was 30 years, it certainly was near the end (Arnold stopped the rolling 30 year in 2005, hence the current 1975 date).