The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
davepl

New trans, not happy, need useful advice

So after the 200-4R that I had built locally died, I ordered a 4L80E from a large eBay trans rebuilder. I'll keep the name out of it until I know what's going to happen, as I'm not the "trash the name out of revenge" kind of guy.

Long story short, I bought the 4L80E for about $2,000 to my door. I did not have a core, so they supplied one, and that's where the problem is.

I'm pretty sure this core has been through a bad vehicle fire. The metal guy (welder) at the fab shop says the case is indicative of the chemicals local fire departments use to put out vehicle fires. You can see it's pretty rough.

Even though this is a restored vehicle, I could live with an ugly case if I were confident of the trans, but even the plastic wiring harness connected is cooked inside. I've included photos of both things below.

Should I just live with it? Or what should I ask the vendor to do about it?

Of course the easy answer is "Send me a new one, pay to take this one back, burn the business down and shoot all of the employees", but I'm trying to be realistic. Should I ask for a different unit? Who pays shipping of the two extra trips?

At the end of the day it's a black box (once I paint it) and it works or doesn't, but I'll be thousands into this really ugly looking unit with a melted connector.

What do you recommend I ask the trans vendor to do, if anything?

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote