The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
msg

1966 Hood corner patch repair question

Do the sides of the hood slope inward toward the cab? Or should you be able to take a straight edge and it be flush all the way down?

I wish I had placed a straight edge on it before I made any cuts to see if it slopes like this or not originally, but I made a cut

After cleaning out the area inside as best I could and painted 3 coats of epoxy primer, I welded the patch panel in place

Then I looked closer at the edges and saw how the guys at the sandblasters were not careful using their fork lift and dented the hood in some places. On that side I saw this

I did my best to hammer/dolly the dented edge that makes contact with the fender when closed and its back flush and looking ok now. I also hammered the outward dent on the side to the straight edge would line up.

I took the fender extension and placed it at the base and it lines up pretty good

So do I need to drill out the spot welds and pull that base edge out some to line up flush? Seems like if I do that the fender extension panel wont line up too well.