The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Exhaust system combo's question

Hey guys, I just recently finished doing a top end on my c10 and did some tranny work while I was in there. It's a 1970 c10 LWB with a fresh 355 and th400 trans with 2600rpm stall. I did 180cc ProTopline heads with 67cc chambers and 2.02 1.64's. Went with a Comp 280h and Edelbrock RPM manifold and 650 AVS carb. Truck is right around 10-1 compression, maybe a hair over, pretty healthy build.

Truck is driven only when I have a hinkering for fun and speed and noise isn't an issue. Right now it's got Hooker long tube headers with I believe 1 5/8" primaries and 3" collectors. Has some mail order bolt on exhaust kit with 2 1/4" pipe and 40 series flowmasters dumped at the rear axle. Sounds decent but flows always do, especially with some compression.

Do my header primary tubes seem big enough for this motor or could more be had with 1 3/4 primaries? The 2 1/4 bolt on kit is getting pulled out for a manderel bent 2 1/2" or 3" custom exhaust. I love dual Flowmasters dumped at the axle, sounds very burly and fits a muscle truck. But I'm thinking of trying something I haven't seen, and hoping I'll love it. Here's my questions.

1) on our trucks, do you benefit from using an X or H pipe rather than straight duals, and how do they sound? I had a 1993 5.0 mustang (not the same I know) and I tried an X and an H pipe and they had two VERY distinct sounds to them. I tried with tail pipes and dumped at the axel.

2) has anybody tried the Borla Stingers muffler? They sound AMAZING on those newer Mustangs, a sound like no other muffler. Like a combination between the old school 40 series flows, and a Corsa kit on a corvette. My thinking is, take that Borla muffler, and stick it on a roudy 350 with a big lopey cam and see what happens.

Any input on H and X pipes would be great. As well as your experience with different combos of pipes and mufflers and what they sounded like. I'm not sold on the Borlas yet but really considering it. No idea about X and H pipes on old trucks but open to new things
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote