The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
ChrisCostlow

Looking to replace front and rear axles...

I have a 72 Blazer CST. It sports a 350HO with only 1600 miles and Holley Terminator EFI. Tranny and NP205 have both been redone. New carpet, dash panel, seats, doors, and I just got a perfect rear hatch from a guy in my town.

Here's my problem. The PO put a one-ton axle in the rear and a three-quarter ton axle in the front. With that combination I can't get a 3.07 ratio. It's currently 3.83 (I'm told that's the lowest common ratio between the two axles) and works way too hard at 70 mph. I understand 3.07 was the stock ratio for my truck and that's what I want to go to. I'd also like to take away most of the lift but know nothing at all about suspension. I had someone tell me "the shackles have been flipped" but can't find pics anywhere of what the stock setup looks like so if anyone has pictures I'd love to see them!

I'm gonna bite the bullet and sell the Harley to get this done but I need some help and info. I'm in So. Cal. in the mountains and need to know what axles I need and where I can find them. I know I need half-ton axles but can I get them complete from wheel stud to wheel stud? Where to find them? I'm willing to as far as say, Phoenix.

Help me out Guys and Gals!

Thanks in Advance
Chris
ChrisCostlow is offline   Reply With Quote