The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
That's because when GM made your engine the knuckle heads at the EPA didn't remove the zinc from our oil yet.
True, but I am refering to the modern specs from the 350 HO Deluxe Engine (19210008) Specifications, revised on May 28th, 2014. That's why I posted that info, cause it surprised me.

Quote:
You want something between 1000-1800ppm of zinc in your oil or you will wipe a cam very quickly. I simply run Rotella T6 diesel oil it has a naturally higher zinc content still at around 1100 and has been proven by third party hobbies the like us with oil analysis tests sent in to labs. It costs a little more then normal 5w30 but it sure beats trying to track down zinc additive
Glad to hear another proponent of Rotella, as I hear arguments for and against it these days, I think rumors are they are fandangling with the formula, maybe at least in California. Well the Rotella T is on sale, and I had my heart set on it, not quite T6 but it might could work.

Quote:
and then trying to explain it to the kid behind the parts counter as you melt his brain trying to explain it to him
oh my god, did you have a camera on me this last time I was talking about just that with the pimple faced youth at Oh'Reallys, ha ha, nice kid, but inexperienced, he'll get there though, very open minded

Quote:
"Steps off soap box"
you can step up on it as many times as you like bro, you are always very helpful, but next time I expect a mic drop when you do Step Off! and if this thing granades I'll know who to blame, jk, ha ha
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote