The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
the_nutt

Checking my mechanic's 700r4 install

Hey guys,

My '72 C10 has been in the shop for a bit getting a 700r4 swapped in place of a shredded TH350. They did a good job, the work is warrantied, and I'm not trying to look for problems, but I'm new to some of these intricacies and would really appreciate some experienced feedback.

When I dropped off the truck I also provided the shop with links to TV cable alignment carb brackets, lockup wiring kits, etc. He said their transmission builder (on the job for ~20 years) was going to do the lockup via vacuum, and assured me they would set the TV cable correctly.

Based on the picture below, it looks to me like the TV cable is hooked up to the stock Edelebrock throttle/TV cable bracket. I was under the impression an adapter like the one here at Summit (and pictured below) was A REQUIREMENT for a swapped 700r4.

I drove the truck about 5 miles total after leaving the shop, and at some points it will "fall into neutral" while driving; usually when slightly letting up on the gas after reaching cruising speed ~45mph. Mechanic thinks its because they tried to re-use the original shift linkage, and new Lokar adjustable linkage is on the way.. but I'm afraid that's a sign of the TV cable being incorrectly adjusted.

I know running/driving an improperly adjusted TV cable is a really bad idea, so the truck is parked until the shop goes back to the shop for the Lokar linkage to be installed.

Any feedback from y'all this weekend before I take it back into the shop would be much, much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

the_nutt is offline   Reply With Quote