The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Hansome

ENGINE - to Scrap or not to scrap

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to purchase a inline 6 250 complete engine and sm420 box, for a spare for my 66 C10. Here in the UK there not easy to get hold of.
It was a great price so couldn't turn it down - its been sitting in the bed of the truck for a week and i finally got time to off load it today, and as the weather was nice and sunny i skipped the afternoon from work and tore down the engine.

Its my first inline 6 - I've got one in the truck and i wanted this one to work on a bit to enhance the head etc etc and a spare engine.

It came out of a imported '52 3100 which the owner was putting in a 350 SBC!he only had it running once and there was a leak from the water pump and that was all he knew about it.
numbers showed it was a 250 and thats what i wanted.

got it all apart this afternoon and the head looks good, water pump impeller was pretty much rusted away which left loads of rusty sludge in the water jackets!!

i found a crack by the pump so decided to take the head off too and this is what i found....

on the head bottom of the head Gasket (you can just about see it) it had squashed into the crack effectively filling it

SO....... is it scrap?

Does anyone know if i should use or not use it?

any thoughts much appreciated

Dan
Hansome is offline   Reply With Quote