The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post

Rock and Roll !!

Well, not sure who still follows the build, but I guess it has turned a corner after this weekend.

Friday nights Rum and Pepsi was rather good.

Saturday morning Paul came around, followed later by mate Martin and then later on my very good old friend and riding buddy Kevin on his new R1200GS Adventure with all bells and whistles. He had needed some head clearance space.

Paul got here around 10.30am with a box of taps, dies and an ignition unit to be used later in the day, which turned out to be 7.30 pm.

He also brought me these two little treasures...... I just need to find a pair of Chevy Rallye wheels to go with them.

Between us we did a variety of jobs with Paul doing all the clever stuff.

Which includes tapping all the threads till the tool spun about freely.

For any of you who have changed a camshaft like we did before, think gynaecology 101.

Used a dome headed bolt from one of my tins of stashed random nuts n bolts which fitted the end of the camshaft, the other end I cut the head off, and it fitted into a piece of snooker queue with exactly the same thread, This created a steady handle for introducing the shaft very gently.

Once all the internals were oil bathed.

And I had covered the whole of the camshaft in graphite grease. All this cleverness thanks to Paul who has built a few motors in his life.

I then carefully threaded it all back into place...... With the master supervising.

By then Martin and his mobile phone as well as Kevin had arrived and the kettle went into overdrive.

We carried on with the reassembly up to the point where it suddenly dawned on me that with being so bloody preoccupied with getting the new job right, I had completely forgotten to lap in the valves...... Aaaaaaarrrrgh..!!!
Paul volunteered to carry on with that, while I started the fire for lunch that still needed to be cooked, it was now after 13.30

Paul doing my dirty work...... Lapping in the valves.

VIDEO HERE:

Lunch at last.

After lunch both Kevin and Martin left, and we got on with the rest of the build.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote