The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #24
Schultze09

Re: Getting my 84 silverado C-10 back on the road

Well is been a little while sense I posted an update. So far I have primed the oil pump, replaced the missing battery support bracket and overflow tank. I removed and replaced the gas in the tank. bought a battery and poured some Sea Foam in the carburetor and let it set for a week. So last night I got enough nerve to try to start it up. I sprayed a little starting fluid in the carb and gave it a go. Fired right up! Unbelievable. Oil pressure went to normal and the idle was high but then backed of slightly once i taped the gas peddle. I let it get up to temp and some smoke developed down by the valve covers so I shut it down. Let it cool down some then tried it again. Fired right up again... awesome. Do you guys think the smoke is just some seepage over time and will burn off? Or should I replace the valve cover gaskets? Also the high idle I don't know what to make of that. Next thing for sure is the trans fluid and filter. I've never replace this gasket before, is it tough to do on the ground?

Thanks, for your help guys!!
Schultze09 is offline   Reply With Quote