The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Steering wheel shakes going over 35 mph. Why?

Hey friends, hopefully I could get some answers and advice. So my truck was out of commission for a month. I did a dual MC conversion, upper steering wheel bearing, and brake drum adjustments, and also had to replace some lug nut studs and lug nuts because a few got stripped in the process. But since I've been back in the road for the past week, my steering wheel started to shake pretty bad going about 35mph.

Now at first I thought it was because I may have adjusted my brake drums to tight,
So I backed them off, but still shakes.

Checked all the adjustments i did on my 3 on the tree,
Still shakes

I also had re adjusted my parking brake brackets that are located under the 3 speed tail shaft, now I don't have to pull my parking leaver as far anymore, but I don't think that this would be the problem.

One last possible thing I believe is the problem.

When I had taken my wheels off to adjust the brakes, some lug nuts and studs got stripped since it seemed like that were never taken off before, I had to replace a few that I bought from autozone.

Currently I have 3 out of 6 brand new studs and lug nuts on the front passenger

And 2 out of 6 on the rear passenger,

My driver side front and back didn't have and stripped lug nuts or studs.

I also would like to add, when I brake, I noticed that my truck wants to go towards the right and I have to steer it to the left to keep it straight.

So I would like to conclude that maybe if possible have a wheel balancing problem on my passenger side(front and back) wheels? I've heard that wheel balancing can make the steering wheel shake.
Anyways, hopefully anyone who has more experience than I do, could shine some light on my problem. Thanks everyone, and thank you for reading and commenting.

Happy Trunkin'
Isaiah.
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote