The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
Flathead Smith

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
so decided to cut out the stick out of my shifter bottom end assembly for two reasons

1. the threads for the ball were broken off on it anyways

2. I did not like the hockey welded in install, even if it was factory

I'm pretty sure that weld on the shifter was not factory, and was added later.

I am fixing to install a cast iron version of one of the A833 transmission in my truck and there is no weld on either one of the two shifters I have. I was originally thinking the shifter was slipped in and then squeezed shut by a pressing operation, but now after seeing the information you posted, I'm thinking it is removable.

Another thing to consider if you need a driveshaft. This A833 transmission uses the same 27 spline yoke as a Turbo 350/700R4 (it also uses the same tail-shaft bushing, which is easy to replace... My transmission shop installed mine for $3.00, which included the bushing). I haven't checked this out yet, but there is a chance that the transmission, when bolted to the clutch housing, might have the same length as either one of these two transmissions. If it does, we'll know what truck to look for at the nearest Pick&Pull.

Last edited by Flathead Smith; 04-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Flathead Smith is offline   Reply With Quote